Nelson Building Reports has re-opened in Level 3 restrictions.
Available to carry out pre-purchase building inspections.
Full health and safety precautions taken: distancing, sanitiser, mask, Tyvek suit.
I carry out thorough building inspections
and write comprehensive, understandable professional reports.
Your home is the most important purchase of your life.
Older houses come without warranty. Buyer beware.
I appraise your potential home objectively and, prior to contract settlement, find building issues, whether defects or hazards, that may cause significant future expense.
The Nelson/Tasman region has some common building issues that are worth knowing about prior to property purchase. They can be expensive to rectify:
- The connection of sub-floor framing to piles, and sub-floor bracing. (Important for earthquake stability.)
- Leaky plumbing pipes, ie, Dux Qest. (These faulty polybutylene pipes were used extensively in Nelson over a 12 year period.)
- Incomplete, or unauthorised renovations. (Can be expensive and time-consuming to regularise with the council, and affect insurance for the property.)
- Council Resource Management Plan Overlays: Fault Hazard, Grampians, Tahuna Slump, Flood, Airport Effects Control, Port Effects Control, etc. (The consequences of these can be surprisingly restrictive.)
Nelson also has many common building issues found throughout New Zealand.
- Poor insulation.
- Poor sub-floor ventilation.
- Deferred maintenance.
- Unsafe glazing.
- Lack of electrical safety switches.
I am well trained in both the technical aspects of building inspections, and clear and understandable report writing.
I trained and worked as an architect in Auckland, then worked overseas on both large and domestic buildings for far too long. I ran my own architecture practice for 15 years, with many residential clients. I established Nelson Building Reports in 2015.
After professional training in building inspections with Australia's largest building inspection service, Archicentre, over the following 12 years I undertook hundreds of inspections for a variety of purposes: pre-purchase, independent living appraisals, building handover and specific building advice.
Like any building inspector I have extensive knowledge and experience with the building construction process, building Standards, and technical issues. All inspectors should be able to identify and note building defects in accordance with Residential Property Inspection Standard NZS4306:2005.
I also include additional explanations that go beyond the scope of the Standard:
- Implications for any restrictive council Resource Management Plan Overlay.
- Safety hazards in the home.
- Explanation of issues in the council building records. (Yes, you need to see, and understand, those.)
All in a clear, easy to understand report.
As you can see in my typical Nelson building issues I spend the time to write extensive notes about the specific issues I identify. I do not just put a cross in a box and have a vague single sentence observation. Your report will have an extensive explanation as to the cause and remedy of each issue identified.
Feel free to talk about anything that may be a concern.
Houses are big, and complex and never perfect, but my independent expertise gives an objective appraisal of the condition of the house, and helps you make an informed choice about your purchase.
Graeme Coop, B Arch (hons)